Antibiotic Information Sheet
Doxycycline/Tetracyclines/Vibramycin are a group of broad spectrum antibiotics that are very commonly used in preventing or treating infections. To obtain maximum benefit from this medication, one should know the following.
- Medication should be taken with meals or after meals. Please take plenty of liquids to swallow medicine completely to avoid irritation of esophagus.
- Do not take at the same time of day as antacids, laxatives, or iron containing products.
No medication is without side effects. Some of the side effects that can occur with these medications are as follows:
- Gastrointestinal irritation. This can vary from a slight discomfort in the stomach to mild diarrhea.
- Sun sensitivity. One should be careful in the sun, especially between the hours of 11am and 4pm. Use sunscreen and reapply frequently.
- Birth control pills. If you are taking birth control pills, you should consult your obstetrician because there is some evidence that Doxycycline/Tetracylcines/Vibramycin with birth control pills reduces the effectiveness of the birth control pill. If pregnancy is suspected, discontinue the medication at once.
Generally, these are very safe antibiotic medications.