Pre-Operative Instructions Before I.V. Sedation
Please be advised that antibiotics and many other medications can decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills.
We will do everything we can to keep you comfortable and make you feel at ease through your surgical experience at our office.
Please follow these instructions so that you may receive the best possible care:
- Please have someone drive you to the office who will be able to drive home and stay with you the day of surgery. ABSOLUTELY NO DRIVING until the day after surgery. Your escort should be prepared to stay in our reception room during your surgery.
- Nothing to eat or drink on the morning of surgery unless you are taking medication, such as hypertensive or cardiac medication. If surgery is to be done in the afternoon, you may have a light breakfast, for example: juice, toast, coffee, but no lunch.
- Wear short-sleeved, comfortable clothing. Bring a sweater or sweatshirt as our office is cool.
- Ladies: no make-up on the morning of surgery.
- If you wear contacts, please do not wear the day of surgery.
- Eating after surgery: Nutrition is important to the healing process. Cold, soft, nutritious food is recommended. Example: ice cream, milkshakes, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc, as soon as you get home. Later, after the numbness has worn off, you may have soups, grits, pancakes, oatmeal, etc. at room temperature. We ask that you do not use straws the first week after most types of surgery. The day after surgery warm, soft food can be added, such as macaroni and cheese, beans, soft chicken or fish, mashed potatoes, etc.
- Patients with small children should make arrangements for the children to be cared for by someone else the day of surgery.
- Please contact our office immediately should the possibility of pregnancy arise at any time during this care.
We will be sending your escort home with specific instructions. Please make sure to read them later when you are more awake or refer to them as needed.
If you have other questions, before or after the procedure, call us at 985-643-1010 (Slidell) or 985-624-8877 (Mandeville).